2018-19 Online Renewal for current members NOW OPEN
The MyNLASW online portal is now accepting renewals from current members for the 2018-19 registration year. Directly access the MyNLASW portal at https://mynlasw.ca/ or click on the MyNLASW button located at the top of the NLASW homepage. The renewal deadline is February 15, 2018 (midnight Island time).
An email was distributed to all members on January 15, 2018 providing notification that online renewal was open and detailing the online renewal process. The following is a reminder of the renewal process:
- Login to MyNLASW using your NLASW registration number and password. A forgot my registration number/password option is also available on the login screen.
- Renewal is broken down into easy to follow steps. Clicking ‘Next’ at the end of each step will save any details that have been inputted and take you to the next step in the process.
- The review step provides an opportunity to review/edit information prior to submission as well as an option to print renewal details or save as a pdf.
- The final step is payment of fees. Online payment options include Visa or MasterCard. Members who availed of payroll deduction during the 2017 calendar year have been pre-identified in the online system.
- Once you click ‘save & submit’, you will receive an email confirming that your renewal information has been received. When your renewal has been processed, you will receive official confirmation via email with a tax receipt. The Member Search feature on the NLASW website will also be updated automatically upon processing.
2018-19 new applicants
Registration with NLASW grants the Registered Social Worker (RSW) designation which is
required to use the title social worker or to practice within the scope of the social work
profession in this province.
Benefits of active registration include:
· A license to practice social work in Newfoundland and Labrador
· Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW)
· Access to valuable practice resources
There are many reasons someone would choose a non-practicing membership; from retirement or extended leave to unemployment or simply moving to another jurisdiction.
Non-Practicing Membership is available to those who have been registered to practice but who are not currently engaged in the practice of social work in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Benefits of Non-Practicing Membership include:
· Ability to switch to active status throughout the registration year,
· Receipt of all NLASW electronic updates and Connecting Voices newsletters, and
NEW Applicants for the 2018-19 registration year (March 1, 2018 - February 28, 2019) must submit all of the following:
· Completed online application through MyNLASW including submission of all applicable fees. This includes a $50 non-refundable application processing plus $400 active registration or $150 non-practicing membership fee. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details required to access MyNLASW.
· An original certificate of conduct/police records check with vulnerable sector inquiry completed within the last three (3) months. Electronic copies are not accepted. Applicants are encouraged to retain a copy for employment purposes.
· Official confirmation of social work education. Original transcripts are required. Proof of social work education must be sent directly from the university to the NLASW.
· The original documentation referenced above must be forwarded to NLASW’s mailing address (PO Box 39039, St. John’s, NL A1E 5Y7).
Applicants who have been registered as a social worker in another jurisdiction must also submit:
· A completed Verification of Registration form
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated in CANADA:
· Bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in social work from a university accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE).
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated in the United states:
· Masters degree in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
· Bachelors degree in social work accredited by the CSWE including proof of a minimum of 700 hours of field placement.
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated outside of canada/US:
· International equivalence to a bachelors or masters degree accredited by the CASWE. Further information about the equivalency process is available on the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) website.
2017-18 REGISTRATION YEAR
The current 2017-18 registration year will expire on February 28, 2018. New applicants applying for the remainder of the 2017-18 registration year would submit the same paperwork as outlined for new 2018-19 applicants. The annual registration fee however is prorated to half for first time active registrants after October 1 in a given registration year.
Individuals who were registered for the 2016 registration year and are seeking to reapply for registration for the remainder of the 2017-18 registration year are asked to contact the NLASW office for details regarding the application process.
Applicants who have not practiced social work in the last five years, please contact the NLASW office for information about re-entry to the profession.
The registrar can consult with the NLASW Registration Committee regarding the assessment of applications for registration in accordance with Section 20 (2) of the Social Workers Act (2010). The Registration Committee is comprised of six registered social workers appointed by the NLASW Board of Directors.
Appeals of the decision of the registrar concerning registration are heard by the NLASW Board of Directors.