COVID-19 and Registration
Due to the Chief Medical Officer’s directives, NLASW’s physical offices are currently closed. During this time, NLASW staff are working remotely from home and are available to respond to emails from 8:30am-4:30pm. Registration inquiries can be emailed to email@example.com. In order to streamline this process, helpful information to forward as part of your initial email includes:
• Completion date of social work degree
• University from which social work degree was completed and
• Current or previous social work registration in NL or another jurisdiction.
Upon receipt of this information, NLASW staff will provide details regarding completion of the online application and the process for the electronic submission of the remaining registration paperwork.
Social work in Newfoundland and Labrador is regulated under provincial legislation titled An Act Respecting the Practice of Social Work (Social Workers Act). Registration with NLASW grants the Registered Social Worker (RSW) designation which is required to use the title social worker or to practice within the scope of the social work profession in this province.
Benefits of active registration include:
· A license to practice social work in Newfoundland and Labrador
· Affiliation with the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW)
· Access to valuable practice resources
NEW Applicants for the 2020-21 registration year (february 29, 2020 - February 28, 2021) must submit all of the following:
· Completed online application through MyNLASW including submission of all applicable fees. This includes a $50 non-refundable application processing plus $400 active registration. The fee is prorated for first time registrants after October 1 of a given registration year. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details required to access MyNLASW.
· The online application requires submission of proof of identity. Acceptable proof of identity includes current government issued photo identification which includes the date and year of birth of the applicant. The photo identification must be issued in the same name as the application for registration.
· An original certificate of conduct/police records check with vulnerable sector inquiry completed within the last three (3) months. Electronic copies are not accepted. Applicants are encouraged to retain a copy for employment purposes.
· Official confirmation of social work education. Original transcripts are required. Proof of social work education must be sent directly from the university to the NLASW.
· The original documentation referenced above must be forwarded to NLASW’s mailing address (PO Box 39039, St. John’s, NL A1E 5Y7).
· If English is not your first language, please click here for more information.
· Regulations to accompany the Social Workers Act came into effect on September 28, 2018, requiring applicants in the following categories to successfully complete the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) exam as a condition of active registration:
- applicants who have been previously registered as a social worker but let their registration lapse for three years or more. For previous NLASW registrants, the three years is counted from the date that registration with NLASW expired. Registration expires annually on February 28th. For those registered previously with another regulatory body, three years is counted from the date that the registration with that regulatory body expired as indicated on the verification of registration form.
- applicants who have graduated from an accredited social work program more than three years ago and have never been registered. The three years is counted from the date the degree was conferred as indicated on the official degree transcript.
Details regarding the exam process are available by clicking here.
Applicants who have been registered as a social worker in another jurisdiction must also submit:
· A completed Verification of Registration form
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated in CANADA:
· Bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in social work from a university accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE).
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated in the United states:
· Masters degree in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
· Bachelors degree in social work accredited by the CSWE including proof of a minimum of 700 hours of field placement.
official confirmation of social work education for applicants educated outside of canada/US:
· International equivalence to a bachelors or masters degree accredited by the CASWE. Further information about the equivalency process is available on the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) website.
The registrar can consult with the NLASW Registration Committee regarding the assessment of applications for registration in accordance with Section 20 (2) of the Social Workers Act (2010). The Registration Committee is comprised of six registered social workers appointed by the NLASW Board of Directors.
Appeals of the decision of the registrar concerning registration are heard by the NLASW Board of Directors.
Individuals who reapply for social work registration within the first year after their registration has lapsed must meet requirements for reinstatement including:
· completion of the online reinstatement application, and
· submission of an original certificate of conduct with vulnerable sector inquiry completed within the last three (3) months.
Please contact email@example.com for details required to access MyNLASW.